Since the engagement was announced, it seems articles are popping up everywhere about Crown Prince Philip’s new fiancée… but first, I think it’s important to know a bit of background on the soon-to-be Swedish princess…
10. Sofia Kristina Hellqvist was born on December 6, 1984 to a modest family in Täby, Sweden.
9. She finished her basic schooling, then moved to Stockholm to work as a waitress and pursue a career as a “glamour model.”
8. In 2004, at the age of 20, she won the title of Miss Slitz from the men’s magazine Slitz.
7. After being awarded the title, Sofia was offered a spot on the reality TV show Paradise Hotel. She made it to the finale, however did not win.
6. She then moved to New York to work as a yoga instructor. It was during this time she lived with an older boyfriend and his child.
5. Upon moving back to Sweden, Sofia began frequenting the clubs Prince Carl Philip was known for visiting, and consequently ended up meeting him.
6. Sofia moved in with Carl Philip in 2011, less than a year after his split from long-term girlfriend Emma Pernald.
5. She has done various nude photos shoots, one of her earliest being when she was 16, which required her parents to sign off, as well as leave Sweden for the photos to be shot.
4. Sofia began work with the charity Project Playground in 2010, quite soon after she started dating Carl Philip.
3. She once made out with Jenna Jameson.
2. Queen Silvia took some convincing before she approved of the pair.
1. She has ruffled quite a few feathers, however, the royal PR machines seem to be doing an excellent job of “white-washing” her image.
But, as is true for all, the internet always remembers. Love, Lola has Sofia “in her own words” which is very interesting, indeed. I wonder, though, how many of her comments have been lost in translation… but then again, perhaps I am giving Sofia too much credit.